If you are pregnant, or if you’re even thinking of having a baby in the near future, securing an experienced North York chiropractor for regular adjustments should be top on your priority list. Although you may be aware of the hormonal changes that take place in your body when you’re pregnant, many of us don’t know about the many postural and biomechanical changes that occur. Chiropractic treatments are a safe, non-invasive way to relieve the lower back pain that is all-too-common during pregnancy.
Changes Your Body Experiences During Pregnancy
Having a baby is one of the great miracles of life and it comes as no surprise that your body must endure major changes in order to prepare itself to carry and nurture your baby for the next nine months. These changes include:
- An anterior pelvic shift as your centre of gravity shifts forward
- Hamstring and gluteal muscles are stretched and weakened
- The muscles in your lower back are shortened and tightened
- Increased curves in the cervical and lumbar areas of your back cause excess stress to be placed on your lower back
- Ligaments surrounding your uterus are stretched and stressed often causing lower back and abdominal pain
- Imbalances, tightness and pain are usually the result of additional pressure placed on the tensor fascia lata (TFL), psoas, piriformis and quadratus lumborum muscles
- Hormonal changes in the body cause the loosening of ligaments
- Joints are less stable than they once were (especially the sacroiliac joints and pubic symphysis)
Chiropractic Care in Richmond Hill Can Alleviate Your Pregnancy Pains
At North York’s Yonge Street Physiotherapy + Wellness clinic, we use gentle, non-invasive, safe, soft-tissue techniques to relax tight ligaments. As a result, the pain and discomfort you feel is reduced and often even eliminated. Our chiropractors in North York use special pillows and tables that allow you to lie face down in full comfort during treatments. We work to help you increase the motion in your joints, particularly the joint located at the front of your pelvis which is under a great deal of additional stress during the months when you’re carrying your baby. If you find yourself suffering from symphysis dysfunction, diastasis or pain associated with your broad and round ligaments, we can help. Wedge shaped blocks are often used to bring the pelvis back to a more normal position to reduce your pain.
If you choose invasive techniques or prescription medication during pregnancy, you run the risk of harming your baby. Chiropractic care offers a far more natural form of pain relief and those women who receive chiropractic adjustments throughout their pregnancies report easier and faster deliveries when the time comes. Our chiropractor North York is also trained in the Webster Breech Technique, which reduces torsion in the uterus and allows the baby to position itself for a safe and smooth delivery.